Thursday 7 January 2010

Time Flies: Beatnik Style

Time flies, but then again times return. At least they do in fashion.


The funny thing is I'm gonna tell you about Beatnik, which isn't just a fashion thing but a media stereotype (so says Wikipedia). I first found Beatnik in one of my timeline fashion books. There was a picture of a girl drinking beer and she was wearing just a sweater and tights. Shortly after I found the picture, I got my new Elle. In there I saw a girl in just a sweater and tights. Beatnik!
The media hype thing started when Jack Kerouac wrote in his biography about a so called 'Beat Generation'. Jack was a sort of celebirty so the Times wrote about it, and other tabloids did this to. But what exactly is the Beatnik?
The term caught on because it could mean anything. Well that explains, not. It was everything that was cool those days. It could be a religion, as Jack believed himself. Beatniks threw parties were they drunk beer and stole each others wives. They were the pro-hippies. People took the term Beat and used it for anything close to culture, movies, music. Beatnik inspired Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan.
Last but not least, the fashion. Black sweaters, black tights, black berets and for some reason bongo's. Look outside of your window, love, you see it nowadays everywhere. Oversized sweaters rule. Beatnik is coming back? I hope so. It was an culture revolution.
More information:
Beat Generation - Jack Kerouac
The movie: The Beatniks
I could have posted this under Cool People Who Make Nice Things, because Jack did a very good job here. But I let Bobby do her thing to.

No comments:

Post a Comment